Most diets cost a lot of time, money and energy. And perhaps the most annoying: they usually do not get much results. Yet there is one age-old directly that after all these years still proves effective.
Keto diet to lose weight
In the medical world, the keto diet has been known for a long time. It was then used, among other things, in children with epilepsy and as an antidote to type 2 diabetes. The ketodieet had a positive influence on blood values, neurological problems, sleep problems and … .. people turned out to lose weight! That made sure that the diet became popular outside the medical world.
What makes the keto diet different from other diets is the use of ketosis. This is another name for the metabolic state of your body if you do not use glucose but fats for energy. You achieve this by eating a lot of fats and minimizing carbohydrates. By avoiding carbohydrates, there is less glucose in your blood. In response, your liver will break down fat cells so that they can be used for energy.
The ketogenic diet is very strict when it comes to the intake of carbohydrates and other foods. A small deviation can already counteract the diet. Especially the first period to get into ketosis is the hardest. This assumes a ratio of 80% fats and 20% proteins of the total number of calories per day. Once you have become “in ketosis”, you can use a keto calculator to change the ratios to for example 65% fat, 30% proteins and 5% carbohydrates.
Despite the strictness, the diet has many advantages. It has been shown to be effective for weight loss and has demonstrable effects on epilepsy, type 2 diabetes and other conditions. Some of the most important advantages at a glance:
- Weight loss and fat burning
- Lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol
- Less triglycerides
- Improved insulin sensitivity
- Improved concentration
- Less hunger
- Better mood, less fear
Keto diet Tips to lose weight
If you want to follow the Keto diet, there are a number of useful tips.
- Buy stock and plan what you are going to eat. You will eat a lot of products such as meat, fish, cheese, eggs, nuts, oil and avocado. Get enough at home, plan your meals and avoid the temptation of carbohydrates.
- Measure regularly whether you are in ketosis and keep track of your progress. You can not assume that once you are in ketosis, you can start eating more carbohydrates again. Regular measuring is knowing.
- Make sure you eat enough vegetables. During the ketogenic diet it is more important than normal to eat vegetables, preferably even more than normal. The small amount of carbohydrates that you consume has to come from vegetables to a large extent.
- Take a supplement if necessary. If you find it difficult to maintain the right proportions in the diet, then you can try a supplement to quickly get some extra fats. This can be done, for example, in the form of MCT oil or coconut oil.
The 28-Day Keto Challenge? click here