A pumpkin pie is a typical American recipe in which a specific American spice mix is used: ‘pumpkin spices’. A spice mix that looks suspiciously like our Old Dutch gingerbread spices. So I did not make a fuss and used my own homemade gingerbread spices .
I have limited the use of sugar in this recipe, because pumpkin naturally has a sweet taste to it. The crème fraiche tops off the sweet and spicy whole with a fresh touch. Incredibly tasty this cake! Did I mention that? So make it real.
You need this
- 1x shortbread pastry recipe
- 500 – 600 grams (bottle) of pumpkin
- 500 milliliters of milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 150 grams of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of gingerbread spices
- 3 eggs
- 200 milliliters of crème fraiche
And that’s how you do it
- Make the shortbread base according to the recipe and bake it lightly (the edges must not be too dark yet).
- While the bottom is baking, you can start filling: remove the peel and seeds from the pumpkin and cut into pieces.
- Put a pan on the fire with the milk, the vanilla bean (cut open and scraped), the sugar and the pumpkin cubes. Let this simmer for at least 20 minutes. When the pumpkin has become super soft you can puree it with a hand blender to a velvety soft mixture. Let cool now.
- When it has cooled down sufficiently, pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees and you can stir three eggs and two teaspoons (homemade!) Of gingerbread spices into the pumpkin mixture. Now pour the mixture on your short crust and bake the sweet pumpkin pie in about 45 minutes.
- Delicious when the cake is still warm and serve with a dollop of fresh crème fraiche.
ENJOY SWEETS! Have you made this “Sweet pumpkin pie”? Let me know what you thought